23rd SC Infantry

Living Historians Of The American Civil War
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How Do I Get Involved?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

To anyone that may be interested in participating in our event, or any event, this may help a little.

Guests are commonly welcomed at our events. To participate in the battles you will need to affiliate with a group - a regiment or company attending the event. The 23rd are members of B Company in the Palmetto Battalion. The Columns event will observe and adhere to their regulations. The really short list of requirements is:

- You have to have the correct "stuff" to participate.

- You cannot operate independently during battle scenarios.

- You must attend safety inspections, typically conducted just before battle.

This is important to make a note of. The Palmetto Battalion requires it's members to drill. That doesn't mean non member units have to drill, but they are usually invited and often do participate.

Most units will not allow someone to jump in at the last moment before battle. Plan accordingly. That means get to the event site in time for roll call and morning parade. Early? You bet. Roll call is often at 7:00 am and parade is often at 8:00. Drill typically follows parade. That can be as early as 8:15 in the morning. Ideally, you should get there before dark on Friday and stay in camp.

My advice for someone falling in for the first time, or coming unattached would be to get on site and meet someone. The guys at registration can direct you to a unit. Go and ask for the senior NCO there when you arrive. If no NCO is there, ask for an officer. Introduce yourself. Speak to the guys and see if they're a good match for you for the weekend. Ask for a spot on the company street, set up your tent and have a cigar. You're in the army now. When you need to do something you'll be called. Make sure your rifle is clean and practice shirking.

Most of the companies have made provisions for cooking. If you didn't bring your own chow, ask! The money I give our cook is well worth the hot coffee I know is there whenever I stumble out of the rack.

Worried that you don't have all the right stuff? Ask! Most of the guys have enough stuff to outfit a platoon. They usually don't mind lending stuff if they have it. They don't mind bringing it if they know someone needs it. And for Heaven's sake, if you borrow a rifle bring it back cleaner than you got it. If you don't know how to clean a rifle, ask! If you don't have rounds - ask! (well in advance of the battle so someone can show you how to make them).

You're going to find that most of the people you meet are friendly and helpful. Step forward and meet them. Don't be afraid to walk up to a fire. By the end of the weekend you'll have a pile of new pards.